[ale] Crontab on ESXi

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Tue May 31 10:05:11 EDT 2016

crond is running and the backups succeed, it's just that they run every day
instead of only on a Sunday.

I edited the file direct as root and killed and restarted crond after doing
that. It seems esxi does not have a crontab command.

syslog shows that it ran, but no clue as to why it ran every day instead of
only on Sunday:

2016-05-30T01:00:01Z crond[1191986]: crond: USER root pid 1360004 cmd
/sbin/sh /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/util/ghettoVCB-master/ghettoVCB.sh -f
/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/util/ghettoVCB-master/vms_to_backup
2016-05-31T01:00:01Z crond[1191986]: crond: USER root pid 1427626 cmd
/sbin/sh /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/util/ghettoVCB-master/ghettoVCB.sh -f
/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/util/ghettoVCB-master/vms_to_backup

I think Phil may be onto something with esxi not using 7=Sunday. I'll play
around with that a bit.

ed

*Edward O. Holcroft*
IT Operations Manager

*Madsen, Kneppers & Associates, Inc.*
Construction Consultants & Engineers
11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250
Johns Creek, GA 30097

*O*  770.446.9606  |  *F*  770.446.9612  |  *C*  770.630.0949  |
eholcroft at mkainc.com

www.mkainc.com

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 9:30 AM, Lightner, Jeffrey <JLightner at dsservices.com
> wrote:

> Have you verified the cron daemon (crond) is running?
>
> Did you do the edit with crontab -e as the specific user (or crontab -e -u
> <user> as root for non-root user) or did you direct edit the crontab file
> for the specific user?   If the latter you have to bounce crond for the
> change to be recognized.
>
> Did you look at the cron log (/var/log/cron usually) to see if it gave any
> information?
>
> Did you look at the user's mail to see if cron sent any email?  It usually
> will if cron jobs are attempted but have non-zero exit.

MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately then delete it
- you should not copy or use it for any purpose or disclose its content to
any other person. Internet communications are not secure. You should scan
this message and any attachments for viruses. Any unauthorized use or
interception of this e-mail is illegal.