[ale] [OT] good hardware for a learner!

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Thu Apr 14 17:05:48 EDT 2016

It would be total overkill for a firewall box. I would load XenServer or VMWare ESXi on it--then you could create 15-30 different Linux VMs with that memory and test out your Ansible/Puppet/Chef scripting, maybe some database replication, and load balancing. You could mix in the odd BSD and maybe Windows Server to try out various cross-platform scenarios. As for power and noise, you could use it for learning and shut it down when you're not using it. Just get some nice noise cancelling headphones for while you're working!

If you're interested in IPMI, it looks like the DRAC card isn't included but they have them for additional cost.

Scott