[ale] How often do you patch?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Mar 12 11:17:35 EDT 2015

On 03/11/2015 04:35 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> How often do you patch?
>
> When do you NOT patch? Why not?
>
> Please differentiate between business and home choices.

I patch weekly, usually Saturday mornings. This is for both work and personal
systems.  Same ansible script, but a simple sh script that loops over the
systems worked just as well for about a decade.

The exceptions are when I'm not going to be around the following week - then a
delay in patching until my return happens.
Devil I know vs the devil I don't know.

Every once in a while a patch isn't so good and bad things happen. By waiting a
few days until the weekend, that gives the maintainers a chance to correct any
issues.