[ale] How often do you patch?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 11:02:49 EDT 2015

Home: patch early and often except for web server. That gets treated as work

Work: patch security issues ASAP. Often that requires some testing if the
update includes lots of bug fixes as well. Bug patching is done only if bug
is a local issue. All new projects are started with all available patches
installed. New project on existing machine with existing projects is
grounds for full patch cycle and local application bug fixing due to
patching.

Feature patches are mostly nonexistent for centos but prevalent for fedora.
Lifecycle of centos major release is similar to hardware lifecycle. I do
use fedora for some desktop use (laptops in paticular) and have fedora as
the basis for my hpc stack. The kernel changes in fedora have generally
benefited my users.