[ale] Buying advice for Laptop ?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jun 29 16:07:16 EDT 2015

Hi Bob,

Just so we're all on the same page here, you mention 2001 and 2003
laptops. Are any of your ThinkPads less than 3 years old?

My observation for < $1000 laptops, the only kind I buy, is that
quality, reliability, and durability have fallen in that whole genre,
probably starting somewhere around 2009. The prioritization of thin and
light has caused laptops to fall apart much quicker. Skinnier spaces
surrounding hard disks have exacerbated heat problems. The wider
screens mean more torque on the unit. The rise of touchscreen means
that, to meet price points, quality must be cut in other areas.

By the way, my 2006 Acer Aspire laptop runs just as well, on Linux, as
it did in 2006.

I'd be interested to hear how one year old ThinkPads are running.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key