[ale] Buying advice for Laptop ?

Preston preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:42:47 EDT 2015

For our office I don't drop under an i5. I can't see needing anything
more than 8GB for most anything that a laptop will do daily (and that's
generous IMHO). I'm not a brand junkie so whichever I feel works /looks
best to me is my pick, as long as it has decent Linux support. I'm a fan
of using SSD, but I also backup things or have Dropbox/Google
Drive/OwnCloud for my documents and things I need. If the SSD were to
fail or if I decide to do a factory reset all my stuff is still just a
few steps away.

Personally I've been eying the Lenovo Yoga 3 for a future purchase. Like
what I've heard about it (especially the BIOS and loading Linux)
although it might be a little more than what you are looking to spend.

Side note, I'd use the Office 365 instead of buying the MS Office
(unless you get it bundled with laptop). It's always up to date and you
can use it with Linux should LibreOffice not fill the needs adequately.

Good Luck on your hunt.

Preston

On 6/24/2015 8:19 AM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Friends:
>
> I am in the market for a laptop.  I am trying to decide between
> celeron(may be ?)
>
> i3
> i5
> i7
>
> Brands (Lenovo, ASUS, Toshiba Acer, HP) ?
> RAM 8GB good enough or 16GB ?
> SSD a must or not really ?
> if HDD 5400rpm vs 7200 rpm makes diff ?
> Screen 15.6 inch screen.
>
> Has to run Windows (8.1 is what I get I guess )
>
> Uses:  VPN to Mrs. office.  Daughters projects with MS office.
>
> -N

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss