[ale] Virtual machine questions for public use machines

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Jan 24 20:12:59 EST 2015

The machines have plenty of RAM but the guest OS needs to be Windows (as
they currently are).  There is an occasional need to run Windows-only
software on them (usually the lab equipment manufacturers servicing
software or similar) so it can't be just a basic Linux machine, it would
have to be a Windows guest VM on a Linux host.  The advantage with the
VM is that we can let the manufacturer service techs install the
software when they are here working on machines and then just purge the
VM container and put a fresh copy in place when they leave.

I'll keep LPS in mind for certain tasks later but I don't think it's the
best fit in this application.