[ale] OT cellular protocol versions

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Thu Jan 22 19:29:06 EST 2015

On 01/22/2015 06:32 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> Sounds like a Sidekick.
>
> What network is he on?  That affects the communication channel.  Not
> everything is LTE just yet, lots of things are still using various
> modulations and channel types (2G GSM, 3G EDGE, CMDA, 4G LTE or WiMax).
>
> It might be his phone, it might not be. Tower sharing can cause
> interference and vegetation can cause other issues.  If the phone gets
> dropped a lot then the tiny SAW filters used in some phones can be
> damaged causing poor reception.

OMG!  Industry is using SAW filters?  (I'm presuming that's "Surface
Acoustic Wave").  My college department head was an early researcher on
these, and I played (briefly) with them as a sophomore EE.  Talk about a
blast from the past.

I just looked:  he's still on the faculty.

http://ece.umaine.edu/faculty/john-vetelino/

Phil