[ale] Ale Central Meeting January 15, 2015

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 10:12:16 EST 2015

As we all know, the world of technology is changing in both good and not so
good ways. These changes are clearly being felt at ALE.

How can ALE continue to be relevant in a walled garden world of Facebook
and Hangouts and Meetups? Should the walled garden be viewed as a new
conquest?

Linux no longer has to struggle for recognition or relevance. ALE has been
part of the pointy end of the stick that has forced the changes where Linux
is now seen as not just a means to a cost effective end but an essential
element in all phases of electronic life.

Except for the desktop.

Apple is increasingly viewed as a viable desktop for schools and personal
use. They are making the push into business desktop uses as well. Is this a
good thing for the continued freedoms, and responsibilities, that Linux
systems offer?

Join in the discussion of ALE future and Linux changes Thursday, January
15, 2015 at 7:30 pm at the ALE Central meeting room on Emory campus. Bring
a laptop, tablet or pen and paper. The meeting focus is not just what can
be done, but more importantly _who_ is going to be doing it. The room seats
30. It needs to be standing room only for this one.

Note: It's always fun to do the "back in the day" as a reminder of the
history many have lived through with ALE. I would like for one of the ALE
founders to step forward a present a 5 minute history lesson to begin the
discussion. Please let me know who will do this.

If there is a way to easily make this event a live internet broadcast thing
using a crappy web camera and all linux laptop software (Fedora 21), let me
know how and I'll try to have it ready.