[ale] Give superuser to gui apps.

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Aug 28 13:36:24 EDT 2015

On 08/28/2015 11:06 AM, Atlanta Geek wrote:
> Hi all.
> Im normally a console guy but sometimes I do got to the gui. Im running
> ubuntu14.10 trying to add users and configure vpn. It wont let my user
> because he doesnt have privileges.
>
> Im the only user.  how can i give my user accout permission to do admin
> things.  Is there a group that I need to add him to.

Support for 14.10 ended last June. Upgrade.  If you can't move releases
every 6 months, only run LTS releases - 14.04 is the latest.

Do not run GUI apps with sudo. Bad things can happen when settings are
saved in your HOME but owned by root. The gui version of sudo is going
to be deprecated and policy-kit will be used.

Most of the things people need to to do with sudo is editing config
files - use sudoedit for that - always.

So ... does sudo work for your current userid?