[ale] Give superuser to gui apps.

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Fri Aug 28 12:26:59 EDT 2015

In KDE there's a program called 'kdesu" that's like su but it preserves your X environment so you can execute GUI apps. So if I want to run Yast (the openSUSE admin console), I can type "kdesu /sbin/yast2" on the command line. I just noticed the menu entry executes "xdg-su -c /sbin/yast2" but it still pops up the kdesu root password prompt. A quick Google didn't pop up an immediate answer, but it seems like xdg-su is the generic way to do it, and it forwards to the equivalent for your desktop. There is an option to save the password if you want, but I don't use it--I kind of like the reminder that I'm executing a root function.

Scott