[ale] Desktop 32GB of RAM

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Aug 19 11:26:38 EDT 2015

32GB would be the max. The tree is actually a SVN checkout within a CentOS 5.X tree. Hard to explain. I run Ubuntu on my desktop. In my home
directory I have ~/CentOS-5.3. I run a script as root that will mount /proc, /dev, /dev/pts, /sys, etc as bind within that directory. I then run 'chroot CentOS-5.3 program.pl' and the next thing I know I am now in that root and can do things as if I was on the real CentOS system. I've been using this method for MANY years. I even have a RH 8.0 tree we still maintain code on! My SOP for creating a new devroot like this is to use vmplayer to do an install of CentOS and then from my desktop I execute 'ssh root at vm "tar <options here> -cf -" | tar -xvf -'. Shutdown vmplayer and not boot it again.

Since I'm building new many ideas come to mind. Use Xen? Have my desktop as one vm and then CentOS 7 as another? Can that CentOS's root be a ram disk? If so, how would I populate it? Maybe use rsync in its initrd image and then pivot_root? I can then have a nightly process that would rsync that root back to the real drive. Failure of that rsync can text my phone. UPS would be required.

Many possibilities!