[ale] [WAAAAAAY OT] PhreakNIC 18 - Scavenger Hunt(?)

Pope jonnyX jonnyx at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 24 18:49:42 EDT 2014

I wasn't planning on doing one, but I've had several requests (plus a couple of demands and one not serious death threat)(I *hope* it wasn't serious) the last couple of days for a PN18 scavenger hunt. So I'm outsourcing the heavy lifting to you lot, as I'm trying to get the @#$*!!! schedule finalized.

Send me interesting, funny, amusing, educational, bizarre, and/or scary as hell items for a PN18 scavenger hunt; physical items, creative hacks, actions to perform, etc.

Suggested point values would be appreciated as well (1-100 point range, 1pt items = common as dirt (in fact, I'm declaring "a handful of dirt" to be a 1pt item, -2 points per handful if you make a mess in the hotel), 100 point items = exceptionally rare & interesting (a working fusion reactor would be worth 100 points, attn: Chad Ramey).

Interesting and hard to get high point items might be posted publicly, to help endure they show up at the con (or just for cheap laughs).

Since this is PhreakNIC, social engineering, creative rules interpretation, sabotaging your opponents, betraying teammates, and bribing the judges are all explicitly encouraged. For instance:

There are *negative* point items; plant them on an opponent's team!
Items obtained from opponents are worth double points!
An opponent's item list is worth 100 points (minus points for inaccurate items on the list - be careful! "When in doubt, cross it out!").
Bribes: $1/point, a serving of good booze = 10 points, a serving of crap booze = -10 points. what else makes a good bribe, and what's it worth to you (in points)?
Creative rules bending: Judges' discretion for points awarded, depending on how creative (and how many cheap laughs are obtained).
An opposing team leader's pants = 50 points (this happened to me at OuterZ0ne).

The item list and Official Rules (tm)(c) will go on the website Friday, Oct 31st, at 11:00 (when PN18 check-in & onsite registration open), and hardcopies will be available at the registration desk as well.

I need five judges to assist me. Convince me of your worthiness (and get points!)(maybe you can sell/trade them to participants for something of value to you).

~~jX

PS - Stuff to get you started:

Best item suggested via private email is worth 25 points to the person who suggests it (jonnyX's decision).
Best item suggested via public mailing list is worth 50 points to the person who suggests it (list subscribers' decision).
Best creative rule (or rule-breaking) suggested via private email is worth 50 points to the person who suggests it (jonnyX's decision).
Best creative rule (or rule-breaking) suggested via public mailing list is worth 100 points to the person who suggests it (list subscribers' decision).

PPS - I apologize in advance for all of the off-topic posts that are about to ensue. Feel free to follow up this discussion at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/phreaknic

PPPS - Yes, there will be prizes of some sort to make this worth participants' time & effort. Last time I did this, I handed out a complete set of TAP/YIPL magazine (the first ever hack/phreak zine, predecessor to 2600, started in part by Abbie Hoffman) and an original "2600hz" Captain Crunch whistle. If anyone seriously wants to sponsor some nice prizes for this in exchange for a PN18 sponsorship package, contact me offlist.