[ale] sponsoring registrar

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Oct 22 15:00:55 EDT 2014

On 10/20/2014 04:58 PM, JD wrote:
> Contact his heirs.
>
> Have them sign a statement giving the domain, hosting, DNS, etc. to you.  While
> I haven't had to deal with registrars - I have recently been the executor of a will.
>
> Go to the heirs - they will likely happily hand it over if there is any email
> from you in his email account from before he died ... or you can show posts to
> the website with your account or any meeting minutes showing the core group of
> responsible people.

+1.

This is the only way to go if the assets required are in the deceased
person's name; their next of kin has the legal authority to transfer the
domain to a third party, but short of that, you'll have to wait for
expiration and snag it back before a squatter does.

If the thing *is* in the NPO's name, with the deceased listed as only a
contact, then anyone that can prove ties to the NPO will be able to gain
access to the domain name.

    — Mike