[ale] keeping an antique running for another 3 months

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 16 14:23:36 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 13:23 -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> > Running an out-of-date Fedora.
>
> How out of date?
>
> I just finished updating an F17 system to F20 using straight yum
> update...
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
>
> It's not for the faint of heart.  Back up a list of all your rpms
> first...
>
> "rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}\n' | sort -u > rpm.list"
>
> That way you can erase minor conflicts and get back what you had.
>
> Then follow the instructions and manually remove conflicts.  Pay
> attention to any warnings (like the F19 cgroups change).
>
> If you're coming from an earlier version, it gets more complicated,
> particularly if you have to make the sysvinit / upstart / systemd jumps.
> I have gone from F12 all the way to F20 but it's not a lot of laughs.
>
> Masochist! Once I hit the sysVinit -> upstart transition, I decided a
clean install was easier. I ran fedup for 18->19->20. It has a cleanup
option at the end to ditch dangling packages.

> Regards,
> Mike
> >
> > Trying to update Firefox as more and more web sites are whining about
> > it.
> >
> > Down loaded current firefox and unpacked it into /home.
> >
> > When I try to run the executable, I get this error:
> >
> > XPCOMGlueLoad error for
> > file /home/kilpatms/Downloads/firefox/libxul.so:
> >
> > libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > directory
> >
> > Couldn't load XPCOM.
> >
> > So, not having any idea what a GlueLoad error might be, I made a link
> > to /usr/bin/libdbus-glib-1.so.2, which itself is a link to
> > libddbus-glib-.so.2.1.0, which is an older and smaller file.
> >
> > I have no idea what XPCOM might be; it resides
> > in /usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules but an <ls> also shows this:
> >
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 May 16 12:47 XPCOM -> XPCOM
> >
> > where the two XPCOM are oddly marked: the first is red letters on
> > black background and the second is blinking white on a red background.
> > I have no idea what that is trying to tell me.
> >
> > In the same directory is the file XPCOMUtils.jsm. So I tried to make a
> > link to that file but that didn't work:
> >
> > [root at Sarge firefox]# ln -s XPCOMUtils.jsm
> > usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm
> >
> > ln: creating symbolic link
> > `usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm': No such file or
> > directory
> >
> > I am somewhat confused. That file has been sitting in that directory
> > since the system was first booted. All 12k of it.
> >
> > I'd stop now and have a beer, but it is too early in the afternoon.
> >
> > Sean
> >

> > --
> > believed to be clean.

> Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 978-7061 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
>    /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (678) 463-0932 |
> http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
>    NIC whois: MHW9          | An optimist believes we live in the best of
> all
>  PGP Key: 0x674627FF        | possible worlds.  A pessimist is sure of it!

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*