[ale] keeping an antique running for another 3 months

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri May 16 14:04:53 EDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 13:23 -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> Running an out-of-date Fedora.

How out of date?

I just finished updating an F17 system to F20 using straight yum
update...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

It's not for the faint of heart.  Back up a list of all your rpms
first...

"rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}\n' | sort -u > rpm.list"

That way you can erase minor conflicts and get back what you had.

Then follow the instructions and manually remove conflicts.  Pay
attention to any warnings (like the F19 cgroups change).

If you're coming from an earlier version, it gets more complicated,
particularly if you have to make the sysvinit / upstart / systemd jumps.
I have gone from F12 all the way to F20 but it's not a lot of laughs.

Regards,
Mike