[ale] OT: Cell service provider recommendations

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Thu Jun 5 18:51:56 EDT 2014

Quick data point on phones: HTC Incredible 2 (Rezound)

Recent holiday weekend - Fort McAllister State park, near Savannah.
We take to the trail.    Popup rainshower.  We pull out rain jackets and
start biking back.  I put my phone in the inside pocket.  Starts raining
harder.   I slip my wallet in there, which, unbenouwnst to me pushes the
phone out.  Amazingly my wife behind me doesn't ride over it.

Get back to camper.  No phone.  I retrace my path, and 10 minutes later
see my phone, sitting in holster, camera side up, in the middle of the
trail.  It is absolutely pouring rain.

Still running.

I shutdown, take it apart, go to Krogers for a bag of rice, stuff it in
ziplock bag with rice.   2 days later, pull it out,  it works perfectly,
including the camera.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd