[ale] Advice requested on samba solutions.

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Fri Jul 25 12:10:58 EDT 2014

I'd like to hear what happens with your shadow copy testing. I've been
looking into it for my win2003 replacement on which we use Shadow Copy.

How does btrfs relate to samba's vfs option? I had not even thought of
using btrfs on my servers. Thought it was still under development. Is it
ready to deploy? If it offers an easier way to do something resembling
shadow copy, I'm in. Since I'm just getting started, now would be the time
for me to jump on board.

ed

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at naunetcorp.com>
wrote:

> On 07/20/2014 10:49 PM, David Millians wrote:
>
>> I've used samba and AD together. I just don't know if:
>> A) anybody had just made something like this work with wins servers and
>> lmhosts/hosts (it didn't the other day in limited testing)
>> B) anybody has gone the SMB 4.0 route and made a PDC and would swear they
>> aren't ever going back
>>

> This largely depends on business requirements---of course, given unlimited
> time, anything is possible.  There is enough implemented in Samba 4.x that
> it is possible to achieve Microsoft-less servers (as long as you don't have
> requirements which depend on *other* Microsoft components, such as IIS or
> any of the Microsoft platform-specific proprietary applications which will
> run on neither Wine nor Mono).
>
> Bird's eye view:
>
>  * Migrating from an existing AD infrastructure to Samba 4 is
>    relatively easy, since it can replicate back and forth.  I need to
>    do testing with newer versions of Windows, but I'm lacking in
>    licenses on those.  I can say that it's really easy to migrate from
>    Win2k and Win2k3 to Samba 4.  It should be relatively easy to
>    migrate from 2k8 to Samba 4.  I cannot say anything about 2k12
>    because they changed several things, but it should be at least possible.
>  * You'll need to test, test, test, test!
>  * If you have _applications_ which run on the Windows Server (e.g., if
>    the Windows Server is providing more than infrastructure services),
>    this can be a problem.  Some applications can be migrated to run on
>    a Linux server using Wine or Mono.  (Older native-code applications
>    can typically be run under Wine; ASP.NET or applications which rely
>    on the CLR will require Mono.)  Each application must be
>    *thoroughly* tested by its actual end-users to ensure that all
>    functionality used in production is tested.
>
> Permissions can sometimes be an issue, but once you have the initial setup
> there complete (you'll need to internalize an understanding of Windows ACL
> --> POSIX ACL mapping), you'll be fine.
>
> There is a module for Samba now, too, that will use btrfs for implementing
> things like volume shadow copy service and so forth. I have not played with
> this yet, however I plan to do so (hopefully) soon.
>
>     --- Mike

Edward Holcroft | Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
11695 Johns Creek Parkway, Suite 250 | Johns Creek, GA 30097
O (770) 446-9606 | M (770) 630-0949

--
MADSEN, KNEPPERS & ASSOCIATES USA, MKA Canada Inc. WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY
NOTICE: This message may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not