[ale] semi OT: ubuntu from vmware to physical

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:40:15 EDT 2014

Copy data and /etc to backup, do a fresh install to get partitioning right
then restore data to correct location and etc to alternate location. Copy
over configuration files as needed.
Of all the systems I've migrated, ssh keys and passwd/shadow/group/gshadow
and exports, iptables, httpd.conf and a few others (samba) are all that
need moving. Just do a diff between new etc and old etc and see what needs
moving. For most development machines, nothing beyond current work data
matters.