[ale] Letter of Volatility

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 13:13:18 EST 2014

Maybe this is Off Topic, but it is computer related. So here is the deal, I
have a RFQ to quote on some computers to go into a classified application
and the customer wants a Letter of Volatility. Now, obviously, the mass
storage will be removable, but they are concerned about any memory in the
system. I take this to include both volatile SDRAM (DDR3) and any
non-volatile memory such as the CMOS for the BIOS (is it possible that some
bot could be lurking there that could grab data and send it out when the
computer is turned on?).

My question is basically, how long does DDR3 maintain any recoverable data
once the power is turned off. I would assume that power should be totally
removed (as in unplugged from the wall) so that there is not even 5V
standby power, no?

Comments and especially links to solid information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Clifton