[ale] New Linksys router on its way

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jan 7 17:33:26 EST 2014

On 01/07/2014 02:16 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I have an AT&T Uverse modem. They also left me a Netgear Gigabit 8-port
> switch, gs108. Not sure there is anything I can do with that Uverse
> modem.. but it sure is nice having 18Gb speed:)

I gave up on trying to get the AT&T 2 wire to work in bridge mode.  I
have 2 of them and failed at both.  I tried a DD-WRT E1000v1 and the
D-Link.

That was a blessing because now I have gigabit speeds on Ethernet and I
have dual-band wireless in the air that is blazing fast!

A good friend put it best today when he said I paid a hefty tax for not
doing this upgrade years back.  I am developing a device that I have
configured to load its software over HTTP each boot since that is faster
than flashing and allows me to test quickly.  The boot time went from 3
minutes down to less than 2 since it now can get that package via faster
network ports. The D-Link was much slower than 100mbits.

iperf between my desktop and that device is showing me 230mbits/s.  I'm
happy with that.  Samsung S4 on 5G to my desktop running iperf is
showing me 90mbits/s.

I think Alan C. has the right idea.  Let it hit the street then if the
word is good I'll make that investment.

Chris