[ale] Debian fork thoughts?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Dec 3 09:44:34 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 06:37:11AM -0500, Wolf Halton wrote:
> Does this systemd vs init controversy actually lead out to anything
> useful?  I reboot my laptop a lot and I have never pined away for a faster
> boot time.  Ubuntu Studio 14.04LTS  seems to be running both daemons, but
> starting with init.

It's not so much a controversy as a whole lot of armchair
quarterbacking; meanwhile the folks doing the actual work have long
since moved on.  :)

Anyway. Faster boot times is a pretty minor benefit to systemd compared
to many of the other under-the-hood design principles, though it's
probably the most visible one to laypersons.  (It's actually a
beneficial side-effect rather than something was designed in from the
outset)

BTW, Ubuntu 14.04 uses upstart, not systemd or sysvinit, though IIRC in
the 15.10 timeframe it's supposed to switch to systemd.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^