[ale] Can Bad Video Settings Fry LCD Monitors?

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 11:52:58 EDT 2013

I have seen it back in the day, if you didn't configure it correct, do this
thing were the LCD look like it was being cooking changing into different
colors before going black.  I did loose a dell 15" because it couldn't
handle the refresh rate of the card I had, but this was like back late 90's
and early 2000. Also, this was XF86Free and not Xorg, where you had to edit
the config file.

But Now-a-day Xorg does a good job, if the card doesn't work with the
Monitor, you only get a black screen.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Michael B. Trausch <mbt at naunetcorp.com>wrote:

>  On 10/29/2013 11:31 PM, Aaron Ruscetta wrote:
>
> I'm concerned that there may be something in the video settings
> or Xconfig or Dell graphics card that is stressing these monitors
> to death. I know that with some of the CRT's it was possible to
> fry them with bad horizontal and vertical frequency settings. Any
> one hear of or experience this with LCD panels?
>
> Could totally be coincidence, but I'd rather not burn up any more
> of my spare screens, so any thoughts appreciated.
>

> It seems unlikely; CRTs had issues because the hardware could physically
> be damaged with incorrect/improper settings and typically were not smart
> enough to ignore modes they couldn't handle.  All flat-screen displays,
> even first-generation ones (and particular first-gen ones, as they were
> overly paranoid) will refuse to display anything that they can't.
>
> Are these devices being plugged into anything that may be electrically
> malfunctioning?  While the display mode won't trash the monitor, and
> electrical problem in the computer (e.g., where excessive voltage or
> current are actually going to the VGA/DVI port) could cause a problem.
> However, the only situations where I've seen that happen tend to destroy
> the graphics board and/or system motherboard, too.   In other words,
> usually such a situation takes the computer with it.
>
> Of course, these being older monitors as well, it could just be Their
> Time™.
>
>     — Mike
>
> --
>
>  Michael B. Trausch
>
> President, *Naunet Corporation*
> ☎ (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
> FAX: (678) 783-7843

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org