[ale] Can Bad Video Settings Fry LCD Monitors?

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Wed Oct 30 11:22:24 EDT 2013

On 10/29/2013 11:31 PM, Aaron Ruscetta wrote:
> I'm concerned that there may be something in the video settings
> or Xconfig or Dell graphics card that is stressing these monitors
> to death. I know that with some of the CRT's it was possible to
> fry them with bad horizontal and vertical frequency settings. Any
> one hear of or experience this with LCD panels?
>
> Could totally be coincidence, but I'd rather not burn up any more
> of my spare screens, so any thoughts appreciated.

It seems unlikely; CRTs had issues because the hardware could physically
be damaged with incorrect/improper settings and typically were not smart
enough to ignore modes they couldn't handle.  All flat-screen displays,
even first-generation ones (and particular first-gen ones, as they were
overly paranoid) will refuse to display anything that they can't.

Are these devices being plugged into anything that may be electrically
malfunctioning?  While the display mode won't trash the monitor, and
electrical problem in the computer (e.g., where excessive voltage or
current are actually going to the VGA/DVI port) could cause a problem.
However, the only situations where I've seen that happen tend to destroy
the graphics board and/or system motherboard, too.   In other words,
usually such a situation takes the computer with it.

Of course, these being older monitors as well, it could just be Their
Time^(TM).

     --- Mike

--

	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843