[ale] Assembly Language?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Oct 23 16:33:18 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I haven't programmed any assembly language since college 27 years ago.  That was 6502 assembly, and we had to build and program something similar to the controller in a microwave oven.

For some reason, I find myself gravitating to wanting to try assembly again.  I don't have any delusions about doing massive projects or becoming employed with it.  It's more of an intellectual curiosity thing.

So, I had a few questions.

Have any of you worked with Intel x86 32 bit assembly on Linux?  How about 64 bit?

Is anyone familiar with HLA, or High Level Assembly, which uses macros (I think) to support constructs like if/then, while, etc?  This is in a book I may buy.

What would be necessary to use assembly in Linux (Mint / Ubuntu)?  What about HLA?

Can you even truly run assembly on a modern OS?  IE, can you even get access to the registers, etc?

What would be a good way to learn it?

None of this is critical, but I thought it would make for interesting discussion.  I cannot say how far I'll end up pursuing this, but I'm threatening to buy this book, which I've been eyeing for a while.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Assembly-Language-Randall-Hyde/dp/1593272073

The Art of Assembly Language

Any help is always appreciated.

Sincerely,