[ale] mint 13 vm running out of storage space

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Tue Oct 15 20:42:04 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE)

> My main points from a developer standpoint were:
>
> A) If xyz organization or entity or person or group wants to develop
> complex software, and if they don't have access to tens of thousands of
> hours of free labor, and if that development will cost millions or billions
> of dollars, then the developer CANNOT develop the software.

As a person, you can usually develop software with a lot more focus than a
project funded by millions of dollars.  It requires serious thought and
discipline, but if there's a specific need that needs to be addressed, and
if you're willing to forego the bells and whistles that a large community
would add, then you can make some wonderfully useful and simple software.
 Reliability comes as an added benefit.

There's a great quote from Tony Hoare's Turing Award speech:

"Almost anything in software can be implemented, sold, and even used given
enough determination. There is nothing a mere scientist can say that will
stand against the flood of a hundred million dollars. But there is one
quality that cannot be purchased in this way—and that is reliability. The
price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price
which the very rich find most hard to pay."

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/