[ale] Please stop spamming the list (Was: Re: researcher develops new secure login procedure)

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 15:23:04 EDT 2013

On Oct 11, 2013, at 2:32 PM, Edward Holcroft <eholcroft at mkainc.com> wrote:

> Jerald,
>
> I'd strongly support splitting the list. Back in Johannesburg we did this with my LUG and it worked out very well as a response to exactly the kind of thing we're experiencing here. I can see separate ALE-Tech and ALE-Chat lists being a good thing.

I think my original suggestions were 3 lists:

-chat
-announce

and just plain "ALE".

ALE - moderated
-chat - "wild west"
-announce - (required for membership on either of the other two) for admin weenies to let everyone know "what's shakin'" in the ALE world.

It was modeled after the Washington DC SAGE group's layout which has worked WONDERFULLY well for years.  I'm subscribed to straight up "dc-sage" and "dc-sage-announce" and never get a peep about politics or Ham antennas or anything.  (and that group is filled with that sort of stuff).  It all, by convention, ends up in "-chat" because it has nothing to do with tech/sysadmin/etc.

I've been grateful to be be able to unilaterally "opt out" of non-tech discussions in this way.

> Regrettably I'm another one of those that gets overly irritated by incessant, random verbal diarrhea by one person that has too much time on their hands. I get doubly pissed when it's about Windows apps and how Windows "just works" and how hard and incapable Linux is. I regularly have to ignore what comes across as blatant trolling on this list and I do not see why I should have to unsubscribe, block or otherwise modify my behavior to accommodate this kind of anti-social drivel. If one wants one's warm-fuzzies about Windows affirmed, go join a Windows list, for crying out loud.

At least we don't have those issues here.  We just can't seem to be civil to one another on this list.  I've managed to be able to ignore a lot of the "OT" (for me) conversations and just scan headers for topics of interest to me.  If we can just stop the harsh garbage, that'd be nice.

:)

<%= $rodney_king_quote %>

--jms