[ale] [meta] List filters

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Sun Nov 3 04:57:25 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 05:53:46AM -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Since client-side software for mail sucks so bad these days, are
> there any ways that it is possible to instruct mailman that, e.g., I
> wish to see no posts from a certain individual or individuals?
>
> Failing that, anyone know of a good mail client that implements
> Usenet like features that is stable and still works in modern
> environments, and isn't solely terminal based?
>
>     --- Mike

If you receive your mail on a linux/unix host, either via an SMTP server or fetchmail, you can probably use procmail.

Put this in your $HOME/.forward file, and then chmod 644 $HOME/.forward

---begin-.forward---
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #user"
---end---

My .procmailrc file has been developing over many years and it's pretty ridiculous now, but here's a cut down sample:

---begin-.procmailrc---

:0fw				# send everything else past a spam check
| /usr/bin/spamc

:0 c				# stuff I want to see *now*, forward to soemthing that will 'push' it to my phone
* ^From:.*(specialaddress at somewhere.net)
! frequently.checked.email at specialmachine.com

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox

:0 c 				# anything originally to .*test at horkan.net
* ^X-Original-To:.*test at horkan.net.*
test			# will get *copied* to $MAILDIR/test

:0:				# Anything tagged GHSSPAMGHS
* ^Subject:.*\[\*GHSSPAMGHS\*\].*
ghsspamghs			# will go to $MAILDIR/ghsspamghs

:0:				# Anything from a debian list
* ^List-Id:.*debian.*
linuxlists				# will go to $MAILDIR/linuxlists

:0:				# Sender: matches exactly ale-bounces at ale.org
* ^Sender: ale-bounces at ale.org$
ale				# will go to $MAILDIR/ale

:0:				# Sender: matches exactly ale-jobs-bounces at ale.org
* ^Sender: ale-jobs-bounces at ale.org$
ale-jobs			# will go to $MAILDIR/ale-jobs

:0:				# Sender: matches exactly ale-study-bounces at ale.org
* ^Sender: ale-study-bounces at ale.org$
ale-study			# will go to $MAILDIR/ale-study

---end---