[ale] [semi OT] encouraging and discouraging HDD and SSD observations

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Fri Nov 1 08:46:27 EDT 2013

On 11/01/2013 08:18 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> I have 2 TB of data on my regular workstation; however, on any given day
> I don't access even 10% of it, and in any given week I probably been
> work on one to three projects that are relatively "small" (relative to
> the size of a 100GB SSD, that is).
>
> Thanks for the pointer, there, and I'm totally going to look into that.

I was considering it myself recently.  But then I had an unusual task
where my slow laptop hard drive cost me almost a full day at work.  I'm
the sole owner of my business, so that made me *angry*, and I
immediately overnighted a 1T SSD for my laptop. :-).

I'm still interested in bcache, but the urgency kinda' fizzled after
that.  I suspect that it'll *just work* with the right version of mdadm
in the initramfs and a suitable mdadm.conf.

Phil