[ale] Long lag for command line

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Jun 28 18:56:50 EDT 2013

Anyone ever experience long lags for simple things at the command line?
  Right now I've got a Debian system that had been working fine but for
some reason now it takes it a few seconds to do something simple like
open vi or cat a file -- not even big files, just a few kilobytes or
less.  The load average is 1.5 but top doesn't show anything really
hitting the CPU.  No cron jobs running at the time, the machine is
mostly quiet.  It just handles a few internal activities for me
(internal web server, place to compile little things, etc).