[ale] Mail Client Suggestions For Exchange

Ted Wood wood at gatech.edu
Mon Jun 17 16:02:16 EDT 2013

I mostly live in Thunderbird. I've set up a mash of extensions to allow
full calendar support (which has been broken for a while come to think
of it) as well as better s/mime and gpg support (enigmail). I too have
noticed the bloat driving CPU usage up to nearly 100% from time to time.
In response I've tried a few things:

-- Mutt + Wyrd (remind front-end)
I was able to get a fairly comfortable setup going with mutt and wyrd
and some perl/python/bash glue. Mutt itself is straight forward enough
to get the basics going with exchange (via IMAP). The wyrd integration
was a bit strange, however. I had to use a couple of scripts (some I
wrote and some I found) which allowed me to setup a keyboard shortcut
for converting calendar event attachments into iCal format and importing
them to my REM file. I did a write up on how to set it up for the
curious: http://elw.sdf.org/docs/howto/mutt.txt

-- Claws-mail
I've just started messing with this today. The Exchange mail integration
is easy. I'm still struggling to get s/mime and gpg working with it,
however, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about calendaring yet.

I look forward to hearing what other suggest.

Ted Wood <wood at gatech.edu>