[ale] Question about Virtual Nics and Speed

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jun 5 15:20:49 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-05 at 14:29 -0400, Chuck Payne wrote:
> Guys,

> I am currently running a couple Kernel Virtual Machines (KVM) servers,
> today my db admin told me that he noticed that the speed isn't great
> on a rsync he was doing. I looked and notice that he was only transfer
> about 300MB per second. So I started digging into why is that,
> everything should be at about 1Gig in speed.

Only transferring about 300MB/s???  Are you sure you meant MB and not
Mb?  Big difference there.  300MB/s is about 2400Mb/s - 2.4Gb.  And
that's "not great"?

> I told a look network devices on the server with ip

> ip link show

> My physical nic, it shows that it is a 1gig

That is most definitely 1Gb.

> em1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP qlen 1000
>     link/ether d4:ae:52:a5:fe:b1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

> The bridge doesn't show any speed

> br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
>     link/ether d4:ae:52:a5:fe:b1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

> By my virtual nic only shows that it 500 mb

> 65: vnet1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
> state UNKNOWN qlen 500
>     link/ether fe:54:00:47:bd:09 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

> I am using e1000 as my virtual nics

> -device e1000

> Is there a setting I need to check?  Is it control by brctl? Or 500MB
> the best I will get.

Reality check?  The speed reported by rsync is the high level data
transfer that takes in no account of the lower layer protocols or
overhead.  It's also generally running over ssh, which adds latency and
CPU demand.  If I was getting 300Mbit over a 1Gbit link, I think I would
be happy with that.

> --
> Terror PUP a.k.a
> Chuck "PUP" Payne
>
> (678) 636-9678
> Discover it! Enjoy it! Share it! openSUSE Linux.
> openSUSE -- en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
> openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
> Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
> skype,twiiter,identica,friendfeed -- terrorpup
> freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
> Register Linux Userid: 155363
>
> Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
> to package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE
> Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
> See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
> www.southeastlinuxfest.org

Regards,
Mike