[ale] Question about Virtual Nics and Speed

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 14:29:00 EDT 2013

Guys,

I am currently running a couple Kernel Virtual Machines (KVM) servers,
today my db admin told me that he noticed that the speed isn't great
on a rsync he was doing. I looked and notice that he was only transfer
about 300MB per second. So I started digging into why is that,
everything should be at about 1Gig in speed.

I told a look network devices on the server with ip

ip link show

My physical nic, it shows that it is a 1gig

em1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP qlen 1000
    link/ether d4:ae:52:a5:fe:b1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

The bridge doesn't show any speed

br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/ether d4:ae:52:a5:fe:b1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

By my virtual nic only shows that it 500 mb

65: vnet1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
state UNKNOWN qlen 500
    link/ether fe:54:00:47:bd:09 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I am using e1000 as my virtual nics

-device e1000

Is there a setting I need to check?  Is it control by brctl? Or 500MB
the best I will get.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org