[ale] rpm's src vs binary and the confusion

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Wed Jun 5 00:04:08 EDT 2013

Meh.  Admins rotate in and out so much these days and documenting things
is so unheard of...don't get me started.  Suffice it to say that no one
will curse your name because no one will remember it. :)

A few years ago I was trying to address a very unhealthy
Tomcat-behind-Apache platform that was using some very old version of
Tomcat that was so unstable that it was end-of-lifed and a whole new
branch of the tree emerged with a "there be dragons" sign left at the
old. :)

The Apache people, over and over again, would say DON'T use your
distro's package manager...just DON'T!!!  And sure enough, on RH and
-alikes, I could see why at the time.  Whoever managed the Gentoo ebuild
was very meticulous and it *would* work perfectly, but you could see
that a "Tomcat way" and a "Gentoo way" of doing and placing things was
being very carefully reconciled.  Just the same, if you eschewed the
Tomcat ebuild under Gentoo and just took the Tomcat distribution as the
Apache people intended, there wasn't any interference and it would work
just fine also, provided you'd laid in the dependencies by hand via
Portage.