[ale] custom kernel

Scott Bragg walkingbear at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 11:23:46 EDT 2013

Professionally, I've compiled custom kernels now and then.  The last time I
had to maintain a completely custom kernel was about 6-7 years ago when
writing software for traffic control systems and digital message board /
road signs.  ARM based cpu in the signs with a completely custom and very
stripped out linux distro.  Was fun rolling a very tiny window manager on
it for the on-sign interface as well.

The last time I rolled one for personal use was when 3.0.0 shipped.  I
rolled it up to see what it was like and what I would need to know to
support it.