[ale] rpm's src vs binary and the confusion

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 22:26:50 EDT 2013

Your first question is what's the difference between an SRPM and an RPM.  An RPM is software you're going to install and use on a machine.  An SRPM is an RPM that contains your sourcecode and spec file, from which someone can build their own RPM.

Second, what you should be doing in your install section.  Your install section should be moving your files from your source directory into the RPM_BUILD_ROOT.  Did you take a look at the document I linked in your last thread?

Third, %install... If you would prefer, add a makefile to your source tar and call its install target. Otherwise just manually move the files to where they need to go.

I notice you don't have a %files manifest yet, that'll be next.

-Scott