[ale] rpm's src vs binary and the confusion

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 22:19:32 EDT 2013

SRC rpm contains source files and spec file. It controls how to build
binary rpm.
Get the most recent SRC.rpm for tomcat and start from that. In short, dump
all the patches, change version numbers and run rpmbuild tomcat.spec and
start debugging :-)

If you can't compile it from the SRC tar ball, the rpmbuild has no chance.
Read the SRC spec file for requirements.