[ale] Wow, that was pretty easy

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 19:22:44 EDT 2013

Took delivery on my spankin' new Lenovo T530 Tuesday.  I spent a good part
of the day today messin' with it.  I took great care never to boot it to
Windows 7 Home Edition, even though I know I'll never get that part of my
money back.  Bastardi.  After some fiddling with various liveCD distros, I
loaded Debian Wheezy on her.  She's now called "antling".

Wheezy meant I had to  explicitly install a package to enable the evil
proprietary wifi (Intel Centrino). I disabled the annoying touchpad in
software in favor of the lovely Trackpoint ("nipple"). .  Drilled  a small
hole in the case with my pocketknife so I could touch-find the <home> and
<end> keys.   Removed the "Lenovo Experience" and "Windows 7" stickers and
threw them away.

I'm still kind of moving in:

apt-get install audacity
apt-get install emacs-23
apt-get install svn
apt-get install build-essentials
apt-get install git

This machine is blazin' fast compared to my old R50. Some of the amenities
are pretty nice too: keyboard and screen lights, a switch to turn wifi
completely off, speaker and mic mute buttons.  Sleep seems to work jus'
fine. I specifically ordered a machine without a built-in webcam.   A
picture for good luck ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/glantriff/8917203291/).

-- CHS