[ale] OT Just bought my 1st & 2nd "lighting-class" LED bulbs

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Jul 23 22:12:36 EDT 2013

On 07/23/2013 09:42 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:

> June bill for a 1350sqft house was under $70. 3.5 Ton SEER 18 unit that is
> seldom on, a high effiency fridge and a hot tub are my biggest draws. Installing
> a very light colored metal roof saved a bunch. A mix of LED and CFL lights, the
> home server is a Netbook (Xubuntu currently) and Nancy and I run Laptops for
> systems... her a Mac, me a Linux system and an rMBP.
> My point is: small house, minimal power users = small bill ;)

My June bill for a 2400sqft house was just under $90 - it rained all month.  For
normal temps, as we get other years, it would be $120-140-ish for June, July,
Aug. A SEER 10 unit downstairs, and a newer SEER 13 unit for upstairs.  Electric
costs have not been noticeably different with the newer unit the last 4 yrs.
The house is 20 yrs old, nothing special.

6 computers running 24/7/365, all the other normal household stuff. I work from
home, so A/C runs all day, as needed.

ZERO LED and CFL lights used. They don't seem cost effective to me.  Tried a few
in the ceiling fans, but the model I got didn't work with the dimmer - useless.

Running 4 ceiling fans 24/7/365 keeps the house temperatures comfortable in
those rooms. Static temperatures on the thermostats - 78 in spring, 80 in summer
when it gets hot, so this year, they are still at 78. Then back down to 78 until
the heating is needed.

During spring and fall, the electric bill drops to $55-$65/month.

If my bill were that high, I'd look for a broken appliance or five.