[ale] OT Just bought my 1st & 2nd "lighting-class" LED bulbs

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Jul 23 21:42:03 EDT 2013

> must replace my SEER 0.001 with something MUCH better (looking at a SEER 16 unit). Plus add a crapload
> of insulation in attic and glob on the ultra-bright white roof paint. My June power bill was $380.
> Why do people insist on BLACK shingles in the hot states? Aesthetics be damned! AC bills prevent me

June bill for a 1350sqft house was under $70. 3.5 Ton SEER 18 unit
that is seldom on, a high effiency fridge and a hot tub are my biggest
draws. Installing a very light colored metal roof saved a bunch. A mix of
LED and CFL lights, the home server is a Netbook (Xubuntu currently) and Nancy and I
run Laptops for systems... her a Mac, me a Linux system and an rMBP.
My point is: small house, minimal power users = small bill ;)

My father in law just replaced his ceiling can-lights with some that
looked like these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-6-in-9-5-Watt-65W-Soft-White-2700K-LED-Downlight-E-ECO-575L/202240932#.Ue8wFFOpNhE
Although I'm not sure exactly which model he installed. I was blown away
by the quality of the light and the dimmability. They are on my list.