[ale] OT Just bought my 1st & 2nd "lighting-class" LED bulbs

Van Loggins vanloggins at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 18:46:19 EDT 2013

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:02:21 -0400
> From: James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] OT Just bought my 1st & 2nd "lighting-class" LED
>         bulbs

D=ZQxKr116OV_nV4fHNYS_A at mail.gmail.com>

Do yourself a favor and learn to distinguish bulbs by their lumen output,
not their incandescent wattage equivalence. That's a practice that should
never have been implemented. It's not really a direct equivalence, and it
just ends up making folks say the wrong thing (e.g. saying 40w when they
really have a 7w).

Also, make sure the Crees are rated for enclosed installation before
putting them in your outdoor fixtures. Most brands are not. I use the ULTRA
bulbs by Sylvania and the off-brand EcoSmart bulbs. Neither, of those that
I have bought, have been rated thus.

My favorite LED bulbs so far are the Phillips (damn expensive, but coming
down; still worth it, though) and the ULTRAs. Just about every bulb in my
house is a LED. My power bill, with a SEER 10 A/C unit running, for May was
$99 after taxes and fees. They make a huge difference.

James, can you share a link for these so I can look into them? I'd like to
get something to use at my house that gives me the equivalent of a 75 to
100 watt standard incandescent light bulb for my house.