[ale] [OT] Cars and licensing... (Was: Re: Well, this does nothing for the reputation of Linux)

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Mon Jul 22 18:16:52 EDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 04:54 PM, Sparr wrote:

>     In either event, the first violator of the protocol is the one who
>     is cited, sometimes with others if there is a complex chain
>     resulting.  If people are stopping at a blinking yellow, then they
>     have violated the protocol.  The result of the protocol violation
>     is going to be a collision---it could be a rear-end (possibly
>     chain) collision, or a collision indirectly caused by the violator
>     by falsely giving everyone else the impression that it's a
>     four-way stop and then they don't check for themselves
>

> Unfortunately, this is not how the situation is enforced, and thus not
> how people are practically required to handle it. If I stop at a
> flashing red and see you stop, without knowing your signal,

If you do not know my signal, then you did not take the 2-3 seconds at
your blinking red to assess the situation.  This would be your first
error in handling the situation...

> and I proceed, then you proceed through your flashing yellow, and we
> collide, I will be held at fault for failure to yield.

If you started your motion first, and I was already stopped, then I have
(legally) yielded right-of-way (and honestly, in that situation, I would
have to be broken down to do so---I only yield when the law mandates I
do so).  If you then begin movement, while I am stopped, and then I
commence movement, then I have the citation, not yourself.

However, if I am moving at all, and you proceed through the intersection
whilst I am moving, I clearly have not yielded right-of-way, and being
at a stop sign, you did not have right-of-way, ergo, you're in the wrong.

I fail to see how this is complex in the slightest.

> There is no course of action that I can take to satisfy the law and
> its implementation.

Sure there is: assess the situation when you arrive at your stop sign
(flashing red)!  You have a stop sign.  It is as simple as that.  You
take a couple of seconds, and you discover (a) the state of the
intersection, (b) the state of the lights, and (c) the state of the
other vehicles around.  If you don't do all three before proceeding
through the intersection, well---hey, your car, your life!

I won't be contributing to this thread any longer.  The law in this area
is as old as traffic lights, and is pretty clear-cut and unambiguous to
me.  Reasonable, too, as three seconds and the due diligence required to
pass through an intersection doesn't require all that much---just the
senses which are required for driving safely in the first place.

    --- Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (888) 494-5810 x130