[ale] Thread safe coding, Java or C

Hendry, Chris Chris.Hendry at turner.com
Mon Jul 22 11:33:00 EDT 2013

> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:07:28 -0400
> From: Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Thread safe coding, Java or C
>
> On 07/19/2013 03:48 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> > Subject says it all. What say you?

I grew up being a C/Unix command line junkie, but now, when it comes to creating awesome GUIs that make users ohh and ahhh, I use JAVA with controls such as swing and AWT.  Heavily loaded with multiple threads to listen and fetch data.  One just has to be strong in the language and know what to "synchronize".  Yes JAVA is slower and memory intensive vs. C/C++ but to me it is great in creating good sold eye candy.  If I were developing anything else, that is non graphical, I would use a C++ compiler with pthread_mutex_lock libs.

I hope this helps