[ale] OT CFL cleanup / LED light bulbs starting to become affordable

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 14:21:56 EDT 2013

Hi,

The global warming press was based on the results of computer models that
had very limited data - maybe 250 years of measurements. The problem is
paleoclimates have both been warmer and colder than now. I forget when
there was no Artic ice cap; it was something like 20 million years ago.

There is some work being done on thorium and thorium/metal oxide reactors.
They appear to solve (or severely reduce) many of the problems of the
conventional nuclear fuel cycle. Also, the three major nuclear power
accidents were very different from each other. 3-mile island was caused by
a valve failure causing a loss of coolant. The damage was basically
contained to the reactor building. The fix was improved training,
monitoring, and backup systems. Chernobyl was caused by incompetence and
even worse reactor design. The Chernobyl reactors could not be licensed in
Western countries - it was that bad. The design was a graphite moderate,
water cooled reactor that was prone to runaway thermal problems if there
was a loss of coolant. It suffered from a steam explosion and fire that
spewed nuclear material into the atmosphere. The Japanese failure was
locating the backup generators were they could be flooded if levee was
breached or overtopped. If the generators were high enough they accident
was not likely to happen. Apparently no one envisioned the levees ever
failing; shades of Katrina and New Orleans.