[ale] Adobe stuff, security problems, alternatives

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Feb 26 23:42:58 EST 2013

Hi Scott,

I appreciate the info about Chrome.  I'm going to keep that in mind as
an alternative.  I may also look into Okular.  I think my first
alternative attempt will be Foxit, as suggested by Calvin H.  FF just
started including a PDF reader in version 19.  However, I will not be
using it either in Linux or Windows because it is an extreme CPU hog.  I
opened that magazine PDF in it and began switching pages at about 2 per
second.  It drove my CPU (dual core 2 GHz) up to 70% or more.  The CPU
even stayed there after I closed the PDF tab.  I had to close down FF.
I don't know why, but I think their reader is still a bit half-baked.  I
tried the same experiment in my Mint 13 vm and the same thing happened.
In that case, I have 70% of one CPU core and 1 GB of ram allocated to
the vm.  In that case, it nearly locked up the vm.  I've tweaked the
Firefox settings to not use the previewer but to use the document viewer
in Mint (a version of Evince I think), and Adobe Reader plugin (for now)
in Windows.  I tried opening the magazine file natively in Adobe Reader
and cycling pages.  It drives the CPU to about 30%, but it goes back
down when I stop paging.

Neither the FireFox previewer nor the Mint document viewer can handle
those map layers.

Sincerely,

Ron