[ale] my new Linux home - Mint 13 + Mate

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 22:00:34 EST 2013

As a Debian devotee I think I've found my future home as I've been running
Debian Squeeze with Gnome 2 for the eighteen months or so .... and it's a
clean install of Debian Wheezy with XFCE.  Taking the instructions from the
url below, it's very easy to configure the top and bottom panels in XFCE
just like Gnome 2.  And since the XFCE project has been around since 1996
and has a small but robust team of committed developers, IMHO I have more
faith in XFCE over the long term then MATE.  With Wheezy still not Debian
"stable" for a few more months, that gives me a window as long as well in
2016 to stay supported under Debian Wheezy if I wish too, compared to
Xubuntu 12.04 supported to 2015 and Ubuntu & Mint to 2017. Bonus: my RAM
footprint on bootup before launching any applications is 183mb, and the
independence of Debian (compared to a Canonical or a Red Hat), as well as
XFCE's independence as I think Red Hats exerts a lot of control over Gnome,
Canonical obviously over Unity, and Mint over MATE.  So for the technical
and philosophical I just described, I like it.  And now the link on
configuring XFCE like Gnome 2:

http://www.kirsle.net/blog/kirsle/xfce-for-gnome-2-refugees

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

> Ted W <ted at techmachine.net> wrote:
>
> >On 02/02/2013 11:46 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm in the process of installing Mint 13 into a VM.  I think I've
> >found
> >> my new Linux home for the next 5 years, since I have to upgrade from
> >> Ubuntu 11.04.  I'm using Mate, so I have the major Gnome 2 features
> >I've
> >> always liked: an actual menu, panels - including my cpu monitor, min
> >max
> >> and close icons on the right side of the window, and menus within
> >each
> >> window.  Since I feel betrayed by Ubuntu's UI fiasco, I now consider
> >> myself a Mint user, rather than an Ubuntu user, even though the base
> >> code is from Ubuntu.  It was a nice ride while it lasted.  When, I
> >get
> >> the time, I'll install this on all my systems.
> >>
> >> Ron
> >>

> >Aside from a few initial pains with Nautilus in Gnome 3.6 and some
> >issues related to my lack of ability to RTFM sometimes I have been
> >thoroughly happy running Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome3. If you prefer the
> >panels there is a plug-in called "Gnome Shell Frippery" that returns
> >several pieces of the Gnome2 look and feel, enough so that I used it
> >while I learned the Gnome3 native interface and it felt almost
> >identical
> >to Gnome2.
> >
> ></$0.02>
> >~ Ted
>
> Hi Ted,
>
> It's good to know that I could go with Ubuntu if I had to.  I'm pretty
> committed to trying Mint / Mate at this point.  Even if I stuck with
> Ubuntu, I'd probably have to do a clean install rather than an upgrade.
>  From running Mint in a VM thus far, I like it pretty well.  We'll see how
> it goes going forward.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron
>

> --
>
> Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and K-9 Mail.
> Please excuse my potential brevity.
>
> (To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
> messages prior to 03/31/12 with my personal address will go to the wrong
> address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

> mailing lists and such.  I don't always see new email messages very
> quickly.)
>
> Ron Frazier
> 770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
> linuxdude AT techstarship.com