[ale] my new Linux home - Mint 13 + Mate

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Feb 6 20:04:52 EST 2013

Ted W <ted at techmachine.net> wrote:

>On 02/02/2013 11:46 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm in the process of installing Mint 13 into a VM.  I think I've
>found
>> my new Linux home for the next 5 years, since I have to upgrade from
>> Ubuntu 11.04.  I'm using Mate, so I have the major Gnome 2 features
>I've
>> always liked: an actual menu, panels - including my cpu monitor, min
>max
>> and close icons on the right side of the window, and menus within
>each
>> window.  Since I feel betrayed by Ubuntu's UI fiasco, I now consider
>> myself a Mint user, rather than an Ubuntu user, even though the base
>> code is from Ubuntu.  It was a nice ride while it lasted.  When, I
>get
>> the time, I'll install this on all my systems.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>Aside from a few initial pains with Nautilus in Gnome 3.6 and some
>issues related to my lack of ability to RTFM sometimes I have been
>thoroughly happy running Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome3. If you prefer the
>panels there is a plug-in called "Gnome Shell Frippery" that returns
>several pieces of the Gnome2 look and feel, enough so that I used it
>while I learned the Gnome3 native interface and it felt almost
>identical
>to Gnome2.
>
></$0.02>
>~ Ted

Hi Ted,

It's good to know that I could go with Ubuntu if I had to.  I'm pretty committed to trying Mint / Mate at this point.  Even if I stuck with Ubuntu, I'd probably have to do a clean install rather than an upgrade.  From running Mint in a VM thus far, I like it pretty well.  We'll see how it goes going forward.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com