[ale] Moving my Wife/Kids phones into the 20th Century

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Mon Apr 22 11:53:34 EDT 2013

Neal,

I don't think any of them will directly sell an Android phone without a
data plan. However, there's noting stopping you from getting a regular
phone and putting the sim card in an android. Obviously that limits carrier
choice though. Also, since Android expects a data connection, you might
have to make sure data is not even an "on demand" option on the account.

--Brian

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:

> **
> Sorry if this is turning into
> alt.gripe.about.phones.just.because.android.resembles.linux, but...
>
> Does anyone know of a carrier that will sell an android smartphone WITHOUT
> a data plan?
>
> Meaning, it works like a phone to call and text, and when in WIFI
> coverage, it will do the groovy smartphone things.
>
> I've got three people here that are customers.
>

> On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 10:27 -0400, leam hall wrote:
>
> So this looks like it meets the recommendations. Just need to get a good
> provider and service contract now.
>
> http://www.google.com/nexus/4/
>

> I appreciate the collective wisdom. Too much marketing hype to really see
> any truth to it.
>
> Leam

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert
Einstein