[ale] SSL Certificates

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Mon Sep 17 13:02:46 EDT 2012

On 09/16/2012 08:49 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Gotcha.  Basically what this means is that if you're generating LOTS of
> certificates then this makes sense.  In my case, where I really only
> need one or two, I'm effectively paying a yearly price for my
> certificates.  It's just labeled a "verification fee", but the end
> result would be the same.

Seems my last post (reply to this one) didn't make it through.

Just to compare:

 * Class 1 ("Encryption-only") certificates are FREE through StartSSL.
   They typically cost $20+ through other vendors; currently, GoDaddy's
   are $69.99/year, Symantec (formerly Verisign)'s are $399/yr,
   and those are just the "we verify nothing but domain control
   and immediately issue you a certificate".  Those are free via
   StartSSL.  So StartSSL is less expensive for Class 1.

 * Class 2 certs aren't available through GoDaddy or Verisign it seems.
   StartSSL lets you issue an unlimited number for a one-time (one-year)
   ID verification process which costs 59.90 USD.  It takes a few days
   to go through the process, depending on if you already have all the
   things you need for it or not.  Still less expensive than Class 1
   certs from either GD or VS.

 * EV certificates are $100/year through GD and $995/year vis Verisign.
   StartSSL costs $200 for the verification and you can issue an
   unlimited number of them during that time.

   So, in *this* case, GD is less expensive for 1, equal for 2 (for
   more hassle!) and way more expensive for x > 2.

 * Code signing: Included for free w/ class 2 verification through
   StartSSL.  GD charges $199.99/year, and Verisign seems to charge
   $499/year.  StartSSL is less expensive right out of the box for both.

So... unless we're defining "LOTS" as "2 class 2 certs per year", I have
to say that StartSSL is less expensive almost universally.  :-)

There may be other vendors out there that can provide better prices,
better terms, whatever, but I couldn't find them and haven't heard of
them off the top of my head.  So, if there's something that you know
that I don't, I'm all ears... but otherwise, 2 certs is less expensive
through StartSSL except in the case of EV GD vs. StartSSL... and I
wouldn't use GD certs unless forced to, anymore, anyway.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”