[ale] Baking Pi

Jeff Layton laytonjb at att.net
Thu Sep 6 11:34:54 EDT 2012

  Good morning,

I just wanted to quickly comment  on the magazine part of
the discussion. I have written for Linux magazines both
in print and the web. The US environment for these is pretty
harsh. Many of the magazines have faced some hard times
because advertisers aren't spending money any more because
they don't see the impact of sales due to the advertising.
The marketing arms of these companies are being pushed
to tie sales to marketing $$ and they need to be somehow
measured. So magazines started to rely on subscriptions so
prices have gone up.

It's a tough environment right now. The European publishers
have some interesting approaches to surviving but a reasonable
size chunk of their income is subscription based. I'm writing
for one of them now and their strategy, from what I can tell,
follows this.

I've ridden 2 print magazines into oblivion and things have
really changed in the last 6 years. I really miss seeing lots
magazines around Linux and computing in the airports. But
I try to buy Linux magazines when I can to support them :)

Enjoy!

Jeff